Monday, April 2, 2012

1500 miles travelled this week!

Well… Tony didn’t win this week…but his car won! The last five laps of NASCAR is always certainly good. I thought it looked a little short on the seats again this week, but there’s nothing wrong with the racing. As usual at Martinsville Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson had to feel covered. Everybody was mad at David Reutimann, but I don’t think they outta be mad at Reuti. I thought the wreck looked like Clint Bowyer was a bull in a China Shop. Clint had a good car all day. But he took himself and Jeff and Jimmy out of it. Ryan Newman, Tony’s driver in the #39 snuck through for the win. So tony and his team and the people around him are batting over 50% for the last 16 races.


I took a lovely drive with my Sharyl from Texas to Warsaw, Mo. Ate at the Rusty Skillet. They had the best tenderloin I’ve ever had for supper. But let me warn you if there’s two of you, split one! I ate for an hour and 15 minutes and couldn’t get around it…had half left. Everybody had a box going out the door, and one guy said that he ate his tenderloin with his fried eggs in the morning. Went down to the river below Truman Dam, and watched them catch a lot of fish. Must have been 200 people and kids in the area. Now you might be wondering what that has to do with racing, but on Tuesday they had an open house in the meet and greet with Forrest Lucas at Lucas Oil Speedway. After going to the speedway I can see why Goose said he’d be jealous. Forrest Lucas only does things one way, and that’s the right way. I have photos of the speedway on my page, Winners. I will have a complete in-depth article on Forrest Lucas, the track and 254 mile-an-hour drag boats in a ¼ mile. They have an event coming up in June that will feature the drag boats in the daytime and the dirt tracks at night. 254 miles-an-hour on water in ¼ mile seems Extreme to me! Stay tuned for the proper date.


Didn’t go to the races Friday night because Sharyl has to start her job in Illinois on Monday, and she was leaving Saturday morning. So Friday night we went to Joe’s Crab Shack. We had Dungeness crabs, Queen crabs, and Snow crabs, and I’m sure glad I had that bib on. Now…I sure do miss my Sharyl.


Lucas Oil Late Model Series came to Lonestar Speedway in Kilgore, TX. Scott Bloomquist, Jared Landers, Jimmy Owens, Steve Francis, and all the crew, along with a good smattering of locals, were involved. Lonestar Speedway is the best place to watch a race in Texas. It may be one of the best places in the United States. It’s the best-lit racetrack that I’ve ever been to. It’s better than The Dirt Track, and it’s better than Knoxville. 48 laps of green flag racing in the feature before the number 71 Real Deal Don O’Neal broke and slid up into the wall. I love watching Don O’Neal. I think I’ve watch Don O’Neal win a feature in Florida every year. When he runs the summer nationals it doesn’t matter if he’s first or tenth -- he always puts on a show. CJ Rayburn told me at lunch one day that Don had more ‘want-to’ than anybody. The evening was a lovely Texas spring evening. Just a little sweat on me. Huge crowd turned out for the Lucas Oil Late Models. Glad to see racing so healthy here. Jared Landers and Jimmy O put on a show. After the yellow flag they traded the lead 5 times in the last two laps. The track was fast and smooth and you just can’t get better racing than that.


Talked to Jay Brunson and his crew said they made their first trip tot the Winter Nationals in Florida this year. They went to East Bay, Volusia, and Bubba’s Raceway Park. They said they absolutely love it. They said Bubba’s Raceway Park had several things for the kids, and they had a song that they played for each driver. It just created a lot of excitement. They said if everybody ran their racetrack like Bubba’s they have a lot more people show up. It wasn’t just a race…it was a show.


LarrE went to the Midget Races at Ace Speedway in NC. Got a great shot of the Midget wreck. It’s on the front page this week. I made two trips to Ace Speedway and it was the cleanest, most professionally run place I’ve ever been. LarrE said they’d been through two other promoters since I’d been there, and it was still the cleanest, best-ran place he’d ever been. He said he’s definitely going back.


VADirt went to Winchester’s opening. Always great pictures from VA. Check them out on his page. Wild Wayne and James Brown (not the king of soul, but the king of sales) went to Lady Luck Speedway in Lubbock, TX. Wayne got 20 new bio forms which we outta have up next week. Bruce was at Diamond Park Speedway in Arkansas. Goose is getting a racecar ready to run. They had to buy new tires for the semi and put breaks on the trailer. I think they’re going to I-80 this week.


It’s up and ready to go. We need help to cover all these races. If you’re interested in being a reporter for LuvRacin.com send us an email to Racin@LuvRacin.com put Team 2012 in the subject line.

No comments:

Post a Comment